Wednesday, February 6, 2008

An Ode to My Roof Pet

When all the leaks start getting me down
And soggy plaster is just too much to face
I climb way up to the top of the scaffold
And all my cement tiles fall into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there the circling vultures don’t bother me
Let me tell you now

When I climb down feelin' tired and beat
I was up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I got away from the hustling brats
And all the sewer rats down near the street (up on the roof)
On the roof, the only place I know
Where I just have to climb to make it so
Please ...don’t make me go … (up on the roof)

At night the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, call 911, & share it all with me

I keep a-tellin' you

Right outside the upside of down
I've found some cracks & crap that's a troubled roof (up on this roof)
And if watchin me up here starts getting you down
Just put a rope around your waist and join me (up on the roof)

There's room enough for two, (or three or four extra firemen)
Up on the roof (up on the roof)
Up on the roo-oo-oof (up on the roof)
Oh, come on, baby (up on the roof)
Oh, come on, honey (up on the roof)

Please hep me git down offa this roof (offa this ro-oo-oof)
[Fade]
Everything is quite not right (here on the roof)
[Fading quavering cry, followed by loud thump]

No comments: