Friday, February 8, 2008

When She Was Good She Was Very Very Good...



There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good she was very very good
But when she was bad she was awful.

My parents have been visiting for the past few days, and I have been a very good girl. No matter that I have been married for decades; when my folks come to town I regress. Good advice is offered by friends and my Pet. Stand up for yourself. Don't get pushed into doing things you don't want to do. It's your house...yadda yadda yadda. So, daily, I end up hitting every thrift-store within driving distance, not standing up for myself, getting parental opinions about my home, my children, my pets, and then, eating way too much at All You Dare To Eat Buffets. And what of my Pet? I throw myself on a grenade and do not require that he accompany us on these jaunts. He gently awakens me in the pre-dawn with a kiss on my bottom. Brings me freshly ground, brewed coffee in bed, and tries not to add a straw to my burden. As I have so sweetly said on more than one occasion, when I am stressed to the breaking point, "I will go crazy and take you down with me". He can be so supportive when motivated by fear. Tonight I am expecting one of his special full body massages. I told him I wanted every square inch of my body massaged, and he answered, "there are no square inches on your body but I will do my best". He will.


p.s. yes, I love my parents.

2 comments:

Ms. Lily said...

I can relate, my parents live in the same town as us, and sometimes it can be hell. I love them, but they do regress me to the little girl trying to please everyone. My knight does support me the best he can without getting to upset, but it hurts him to see me taken advantage of and overpowered in that way. Ms. Lily

oh and that little poem my father has told me since I can remember. He edited it for my daughters to say that "but when she was bad she was (my name)"

mistressusan said...

Thank you ms.lily.
Many years ago, my Pet had no patience with my 'parental meltdowns'. Since becoming involved in our FLR, I find myself becoming stronger in relationships in the outside world. A reader, Cathy, has also said that she has found this to be true. The FLR builds upon itself.